Tamba logo - Twins and Multiple Births Association

Saving lives, supporting families

Honorary Consultants

Twin brothers in their school uniforms

We have a team of volunteer Honorary Consultants who are all experts in their field plus experts in multiples. If you live in the UK and have a problem that you are struggling with that is related to your multiples or being a multiple yourself please get in touch. (Unfortunately we are unable to help families outside of the UK).

Please note: all our Honorary Consultants are professional working people who give up their time for free to help families in crisis and as a result of this,  it may take up to a couple of weeks for the chosen Honorary Consultant to contact you back after you have been referred to them via Tamba. (Our aim is to have Honorary Consultants reply within two weeks). Therefore please contact us at least a month before your deadline of required support. Once you have received an email confirming that your referral has been forwarded on to the relevant Honorary Consultant, if you have not heard from them within 3 weeks please reply to the confirmation email stating that you are still waiting and we can chase it for you.

All referrals must come through the Tamba office and Honorary Consultants must not be contacted independently by families. Referrals must also come from a parent or legal guardian and not from a grandparent or carer (unless there is permission in writing from the parent or legal guardian).

At busy times there may be a delay due to pressures of service. This is a free service to members and non members.

Tamba is a charity and we appreciate your support by either joining Tamba, renewing your membership or donating.  Visit our donations page and select Honorary Consultants from the 'where will your money go' drop down menu.  

Below is the full list of our current consultants, grouped in areas of their fields of expertise with examples of problems they can help with. 

Need to speak to an Honorary Consultant? Please fill in our honorary consultants referral form to provide us with an outline of the concerns/problems you are having, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Fill in our honorary consultant referral form


Primary and Secondary Education 

Please note, if you are wanting to appeal the primary school placement decision for your multiples, you must watch our webinar before contacting us for an Honorary Consultant referral. You can view the webinar on our school applications page. 

Maggie Dorsman, Lorna Marks, Emma Zentner, Kate Broomhall and Lucy Morgan are our Education Honorary Consultants. For Primary School applications they can help with:

  • Starting school: whether your multiples should attend part-time or full-time when under Compulsory School Age (CSA)
  • Starting school: whether your multiples might benefit from deferring school start until a later term
  • Starting school: whether your summer-born multiples should start a whole year later, but in Reception rather than Year 1
  • Requesting that admission authorities allow a Reception start at CSA
  • Appeals about school places
  • Together or apart
  • Teachers failing to identify individual needs
  • Teachers making comparisons
  • Different rates of progress
  • Different levels of independence and confidence

If your enquiry is about school admissions, please refer to the Tamba school admissions pack and our document on the educational needs and experiences of multiple birth children

For Secondary School applications, they can help with:

  • Choosing schools (the number of choices allowed varies by local authority)
  • Applying for secondary school places for children educated out of normal age group
  • Preparing for results day when abilities are similar but only one may be given a place at preferred school with an entrance exam
  • Appeals
  • Teachers failing to identify individual needs
  • Teachers making comparisons
  • Differences in ability
  • Differences in rate of development and achievement by boy/girl twins

 Please note in the case of selective and grammar school applications and appeals Tamba can only help in this instance if the multiples have achieved consistently the same academically for several years and there is proof of this.  For more information regarding applying to selective schools, please take a look at our secondary schools section

Educational Psychology 

Tom Lloyd and Carolyn Graham can help with: 

  • Special educational needs and EHC Plans
  • Severe learning difficulties
  • Profound and multiple learning difficulties
  • Autistic spectrum disorders
  • Dyslexia
  • Emotional and behavioural difficulties at school/nursery that are affecting a child or young persons academic progress

Family Therapy 

For typical age appropriate behavioural problems please contact: Twinline our telephone helpline on 0800 138 0509 between 10am to 1pm and 7pm to 10pm (Twinline is open 7 days a week) or email AskTwinline@tamba.org.uk

Our Family Therapists are qualified Psychotherapists or Clinical Psychologists. Audrey Sandbank, Shelagh Wright and Rosalind Dare can help with: 

  • Severe behaviour problems including aggression
  • Relationship problems
  • Psychological issues between twins and parents including adolescence
  • Toilet training if the issues begin to affect the family
  • Identity and friendship issues
  • Adult twins who have lost their twin
  • Couples where one is a twin
  • Parents suffering after the birth of their twins

Please note: Our Family Therapists can only offer one off phone support and sign posting to other resources. They cannot offer face-to-face or long term counselling. If you are looking for a private counsellor you can contact BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy).

Speech and Language

Tess Garrett and Rachael Kay can help with: 

  • Listening and attention
  • Social interaction - any age
  • Understanding
  • Expressive language
  • Speech – slow to start talking/unclear and difficulty forming sounds
  • Specific difficulties e.g. stammering
  • EHC Plan application process

Please note: Our Speech Therapists can only offer support to families where their multiples are aged 2 years and over.  If you are looking for a private Speech Therapist you can contact ASLTIP (Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice). 


If you are a professional teacher, educational psychologist, speech therapist or family therapist with experience of multiples and would like to volunteer your time as a Tamba Honorary Consultant please contact Tamba's Support Team.    


New user registration


Twinline 0800 138 0509. Free support and advice for people expecting twins or already looking after twins.